The Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) began with the 1953 Edition that replaced the Oregon Compiled Laws Annotated. The statute text of the official 1953 Edition was first put into use on December 31, 1953. From 1955 to 1987, the Office of the Legislative Counsel published updated ORS chapters in loose-part form (called “Replacement Parts”) so subscribers could maintain their permanent ORS binders. Softbound volumes replaced the binder system in 1989. The Office of Legislative Counsel compiles and updates ORS after each odd-numbered year regular session. Each edition of ORS incorporates new statutory provisions and amendments to statutory provisions passed by the Legislative Assembly in the preceding two years.